The SLO Marathon is a point-to-point course. The race starts at San Luis Obispo High School and finishes at the iconic Madonna Inn, in between highlighting the incredible beauty of our turn-of-the-century downtown, historic neighborhoods, the green hills and open spaces of the Edna Valley and wine country.
The course starts fast with a loop around the tree-lined downtown, passing the neoned Fremont Theater and City Courthouse, Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa and classic architecture before heading into the hills, vineyards and farmland of the Edna Valley with scenic Morro views.
Upon return, participants head back into the town center to the spectator friendly finish line at the basin of Cerro San Luis Obispo Morro, Madonna Inn and The SLO Life Expo. The Marathon race starts at 250 ft. above sea level then covers 2 to 3 hill climbs before hitting a few rollers in the Edna Valley only as high as 375 ft. above sea level and finishes flat and downhill at 175 ft. above sea level. Check out our COURSE VIDEO
Register for this race
SOME NICE SWAG
With registration, Marathon participants receive:
- A Unisex Technical Shirt with unique RACE SLO design.
- ChronoTrack Chip Timing System with tracking and social media capability
- A Finishers Medallion – A Unique SLO Collector’s Item
- A Drawstring Sweats Bag
- Fully supported course with plenty of AID Stations, FLUID Sports Drink and CLIF Bar/CLIF Shots ENERGY ZONES
- Pace Groups
- 8-hour closed course
- Finish Line Recovery Food sponsored by JAMBA JUICE
- Access to the San Luis Sports Therapy Recovery Tent to ice and stretch
- Age Group Awards
- Great music, food, local beer and wine
- A great "SLO Life" Expo with 30+ vendors
NOTE - If you are not an Official Finisher, you will not be guaranteed a medal or race result
In order to qualify as an Official Finisher, you must finish within the 8-hour course limit. Runners/
Walkers must maintain a 18:00 minute per mile pace as the course will be closed on a mile-by-mile
rolling basis. If you are unable to run/walk within the allotted time, you will either be picked up and driven to the finish area or asked to move onto the sidewalk. Once you are on the sidewalk, you must follow all traffic laws deemed by the City and County of San Luis Obispo. The course will be re-opened to traffic and aid stations may be closed. Sag Wagons
will be provided should you be unable to complete the race. Minimum age to compete in the Marathon is 15 years of age.
COURSE SAFETY & PROVISIONS
The course will be equipped and staffed for your safety and well-being. There will be:
- Aid Stations every 2 to 3 miles that include water, sports drink, race fuel foods and medical supplies
- On-call medical care
- Clean sanitary stations at Start, On-course and at Finish Line
- Police, Sheriff, Highway Patrol and Course Marshalls
- 800 enthusiastic volunteers cheering your every step
Train with the Official Sports Drink of the San Luis Obispo Marathon + Half. Enter the code RUNSLO and get 15% off any purchase.
Register for this race